The everyday need to keep a clean and tidy environment makes vacuum cleaners indispensable devices to have in all homes and canister vacuum cleaners have established themselves to be the more suitable choice for domestic use.
The tricky part is choosing which type of vacuum cleaner to get for your home and that is the aim of this article – to help you choose the most suitable vacuum cleaners for your home. Of all the vacuum types, canister vacuums and upright ones are specifically designed for home use and by no surprise is the most popular because of the ease to handle and the ability to function optimally in cleaning dirt, dust, and litters around the house.
Upright vacuums while being capable of cleaning tougher surfaces just like steam mops due to more power that they are designed to generate might not be suitable for most average homes, this is because such cleaning power is not really necessary in a regular, everyday family home hence it wastes power and consumes much more than necessary adding more to your monthly utility bills.
Upright vacuums are also designed rigidly and usually specifically for wall-to-wall carpeted broad floors or hardwood floors removing versatility, making it difficult to use as you have to remove furniture out of the way to clean underneath them. Canister vacuums are a much better option as they typically consume much less power and would efficiently clean the home.
top rated canister vacuum are designed to be flexible and can easily reach underneath household furniture, in between objects and used to clean vertical surfaces.
BENEFITS OF USING CANISTER VACUUM CLEANERS
Canister types of vacuum cleaners have a lot of advantages when compared to its counterparts such as the conventional upright vacuum especially when it comes to domestic use. Some of the more solid advantages are highlighted below:
- Maneuverability: Canisters vacuums are easy to control and are usually very light in weight compared to other types, making it most suitable for cleaning around corners and use within tight spaces.
- They are usually compact and much easier to store, with most requiring very little assembly.
- The suction wand is extended and convenient to clean out-of-reach, distant surfaces and vertical surfaces
- Its maneuverability together with the extended wand makes it perfect for cleaning beneath furniture without having to move them out of the way.
- They are usually versatile with many coming with accessory tools that can adapt to varying surfaces, increasing its efficiency.
- They are usually much more affordable than other types of vacuums.
- They generally consume less power while giving a maximum output to clean the house.
- 1 Best canister vacuum cleaner 2021 reviews
- 2 Miele compact c1 canister vacuum
- 3 Kenmore 81214 canister vacuum cleaner: series 200 cleaner
- 4 Sanitaire Sc3683b canister vacuum cleaner
- 5 Kenmore 81614 bagged canister vacuum with pet Powermate function
- 6 Hoover ch30000 lightweight canister vacuum with porta power
- 7 Dirt Devil canister vacuum: cleans home like a cleaning devil
- 8 Oreck commercial bb900dgr xl pro 5 : super compact canister vacuum
- 9 Ovente st2000 bagless canister cyclonic vacuum
- 10 Bissell 2156a zing: best cheap price bagless canister vacuum
- 11 Raceup canister vacuum cleaner: This is a bagless cyclonic cleaner with HEPA filter
- 12 Canister Vacuum Buying Guide
- 13 Canister Vacuum Cleaner FAQS
Best canister vacuum cleaner 2021 reviews
A couple of the more common canister vacuums have been reviewed here with a wide range of, with peculiar features, pros and cons highlighted to help you make the best decision.
Miele compact c1 canister vacuum
A mixture of quality and sleekness, this is a product of one of the larger companies in the business. It is considered one of the best vacuums in the market with a little but – It is quite expensive, going for almost $400 on Amazon. If you can afford it, it’s a powerhouse, efficiently designed for cleaning hard floors, carpets and rugs with a sleek and compact design that would not only fit beautifully in any home but also save storage space.
Not only is it excellently designed, It generates an outstanding power for effective cleaning of most surfaces with a six-setting rotator adjustment knob to control its power output. Its stainless steel wand grants it the ability to reach an impressive radius of 29.5 feet making it suitable to clean ceiling fans and tall shelves without an additional support.
It is relatively light weighted, weighing just 14.8 pounds giving it an extra finesse and making it more maneuverable. Its “Air-clean Sealed Filter” leaves the air cleaner and seals dirt conveniently. As an extra, the Miele comes with three additional accessories – dusting brush, upholstery tool and crevice tool – attached to the hose to clean difficult places.
- Powerful operation effective for cleaning hard floors
- Smooth and quiet operation
- It has a great allergen filter system
- It is easy and light to maneuver
- It is easy to assemble
- Turbo brush floorhead that loosens dust and picks up threads and hair strands.
- It has a wide radius, able to reach high surfaces.
- It has an effective air filtration system.
- It is bagless hence does not requires additional expense to replace dirtbags.
- It is costly.
- It is motor suction driven and not electric and might not be suitable for all floors.
Kenmore 81214 canister vacuum cleaner: series 200 cleaner
The manufacturers describe it as “powerful yet lightweight” while it is not as light as the Miele, this is another powerful machine, with two dedicated floor nozzles and a powerful two-motor system. It features an admirable number of three filters including a working HEPA filtration system to tackle air allergens. It has been designed so that its height can easily be adjusted to prevent slouching or bending.
It can also deal with most floor surfaces including carpeted and hardwood floors. It is also bagged, removing the extra cost of buying replacements. Its cord recoils automatically making it more convenient for storage. Its wand is detachable, allowing it the freedom to move between difficult places and also to reach out of and places.
Weight: 22.6 pounds
- It comes with two dedicated floor nozzles and a fierce two motor suction system.
- It has a detachable wand for above floor and extended reach cleaning.
- It has three filters including a HEPA filtration system for combating air allergens.
- It comes with and utilizes the canister HEPA bags for collecting dirt and dust.
- It has an adjustable height and a fair weight, easing the ability to maneuver.
- It features an automatic recoil cord that rewinds automatically after vacuuming makes storage more convenient.
- It comes with a floor hard brush.
- It is bagged
- It has an allergen filter
- It is easy to maneuver
- It has a powerful suction system
- It is relatively affordable
- It requires extensive assembling of its parts
- It is noisy while in operation
- Its suction power cannot be conveniently adjusted
Sanitaire Sc3683b canister vacuum cleaner
Often appearing with a red color, these portable vacuums work efficiently with its cord extending up to 30 feet. It has a very simple and portable design that not only enhances its maneuverability but is especially convenient to store, saving storage space. It is a bit heavy on the side, making it quite inconvenient to clean vertical surfaces.
Weight: 14.5 pounds
- It comes with a variety of accessories including crevice tools, floor hard brush and so on to tackle various floor surfaces
- It has a simple and space saving design
- It features a long cord that reaches up to 30 feet
- It is relatively affordable
- It is light
- It runs smoothly with very little noise
- It has a very powerful suction
- It has a simple assembly
- It is bagless
- It is difficult to use on vertical surfaces
- It doesn’t have a HEPA filtration system
- The cord is relatively short and it can only suck dirt within a radius of 11 inches
Kenmore 81614 bagged canister vacuum with pet Powermate function
This 600 series is another powerful product from Kenmore and it has a peculiar attribute – a pet PowerMate feature which tackles “pesky pet hair” that may prove elusive. It is a bagged vacuum with a powerful suction system that generates incredible power.
Although this kenmore canister vacuum comes with an option of 2 or 6 pack HEPA bags, after exhausting them one would have to purchase additional replacements. Powered by a 2-motor system and an excellent power flow technology, this vacuum well suited to clean all type of floor surfaces.
Weight: 22 pounds
- It features a HEPA filtration system
- It has a long and retractable cord that recoils automatically.
- It has a telescoping wand for extended
- It uses HEPA bags to collect dust and dirt
- Its handle is detachable and can be used to reach tight spaces and hard-to-reach spots
- Its filter is replaceable
- It has a proper filtration system
- It is powerful and has appropriate attachments for taking care of a wide range of surfaces
- Its bagged form makes it suitable to use over a long period before it fills up to be changed
- It can be used over a wide area connected to a single socket thanks to its long cord
- It requires extensive assembly
- Its design makes it uncomfortable to clean vertical surfaces
- It is a bit costly
Hoover ch30000 lightweight canister vacuum with porta power
This is a gem of a vacuum. Hoover has put so much thought into designing this portable and compact machine. It is the perfect definition of lightweight, coming with its own strap so that the user can conveniently wear it over the shoulder while using it.
It is most ideal for cleaning tight, distant and out-of-reach places in the house like inside cupboards, sharp corners, staircases and underneath furniture. It can also be used to clean up the interior of vehicles thanks to its compactness. With it comes one long power cord of about 33 feet, hence you can move it around the house without having to worry about unplugging and re-plugging it.
It is powerful enough to clean hard wood, ceramic tiles, and carpeted floors, unfortunately, and probably due to its small size it has a small suction radius and may not be ideal to clean very wide floors making it difficult to use in very large homes. But if you own a small condo or an apartment home, this one of the smallest canister vacuum would work perfectly for you.
Weight: 8.3 pounds
- It comes with a reusable cloth bag with a paper option which can be alternated to best suit its usage.
- It has an in-built blower, which gives it an extended usage outside the house.
- It has a 33 feet power cord, making it easier to use over large areas
- Its hose can stretch and extend, allowing it to reach farther surfaces such as upholsteries, chandeliers and ceiling fans
- It has a very light and compact design compact with a shoulder strap making it easier to move around.
- It comes with a number of accessories including a crevice tool and a hard brush.
- It is light and ergonomic to use
- It has an easy maneuverability, able to clean around corners and tight spaces
- It is compact and easy to store
- It comes with a reusable cloth or paper bag
- It can be used for exterior purposes such as gardens (thanks to its in-built blower) and vehicles (thanks to its compactness and extended cord)
- It is powerful enough to clean hard wood or carpeted surfaces
- It comes at an awfully affordable price
- Its parts can be easily connected and detached.
- It has a small suction radius, hence not ideal for cleaning large homes.
- It has a small handle which can be difficult for people with larger hands to handle.
- It doesn’t have a filter system.
- Its suction power cannot be adjusted
Dirt Devil canister vacuum: cleans home like a cleaning devil
The Dirt Devil flaunts a sporty look, available in various colorful designs a fancy and beautiful machine that would stand out in any home. It features a very handy grip that makes it easy to pull around. It can also be flipped upright, a delight to use for vertical surfaces.
It generates a powerful suction and has a fair suction radius. It is very efficient for stairs, both carpeted and non-carpeted. It is quite light and small in size allowing for an easy storage.
It also has an automatic recoil cord that attaches itself once disconnected. The suction power can be adjusted with a control knob, to adapt to different cleaning environments.
Weight: 15.5 pounds
- It has a beautiful pattern and colour decoration
- The wand can be extended to increase its length
- It comes with an attachable handle
- Its cord is quite long enough, about 20 feet in length
- It features an automatic cord rewind
- It is compact and easy to maneuver
- It comes with a dusting brush and crevice tool
- It has an indicator that tells when the bag is full
- The manufacturer sends it with a one year warranty which is subject to terms and conditions
- It has a suction control lever
- It is powerful enough to clean most surfaces efficiently
- It is compact and easy to store
- It can flip vertically making it easy to maneuver especially when cleaning vertical surfaces
- It is quite light and doesn’t make too much noise
- It has an extendable wand that reaches difficult spaces
- It is very economically efficient and quite affordable for its quality
- Its power cord retracts automatically, making it more convenient to use and store.
- It is bagless and additional replacement bags have to be bought with it
- It doesn’t have a reliable filter system
Oreck commercial bb900dgr xl pro 5 : super compact canister vacuum
Oreck is one of the most trusted names when it comes to vacuums in the United States. This particular product has been optimized for compactness and mobility. It has a powerful suction and can easily slither through tight spots and hard-to-reach surfaces thanks to its 30 feet cord.
While this commercial canister vacuum might not be most ideal for cleaning broad floors, it is most suitable for cleaning stairs, underneath and inside furniture, cabinets, cupboards, and corners. It comes with a full set of attachment and accessories just to make sure you can get through to all crevice, nook, and cranny of the house. It is very light and comes with a shoulder strap; hence it is very easy to move around.
- It uses disposable bags and filter
- It has a shoulder strap which aids its mobility
- It is powered by a two-stage bypass motor
- It features a 30-foot cord
- It is compact and extremely light weighing just 5 pounds
- It comes with a full set of accessories including: the upholstery tool, crevice tool, dusting brush, carrying strap, telescoping extension wand, and a slinky hose.
- It is easily maneuvered and can be used for extremely tight spaces
- It has a powerful motor system, efficient suction is guaranteed
- It has a long cord which allows it to be moved around the house without changing power outlets
- Its different attachment optimizes it to be used for hard-to-reach and out-of-range surfaces.
- It is compact an small; hence it takes so little storage space
- It is relatively affordable
- It is capable of cleaning hardwoods and carpeted surfaces
- It requires replacement bags forcing additional expenses
- It doesn’t have a proper filtration system
- Its long cords might give storage troubles due to entanglement
- It is difficult to clean wide surfaces
- It suction power cannot be regulated
- IT is difficult to assemble and hold components in place
Ovente st2000 bagless canister cyclonic vacuum
This is a powerful bagless vacuum with a well-developed HEPA filtration system for filtering allergens and microscopic dirt. this ovente vacuum is has a simple and nice design with the dirt colorless dirt compartment located in front, so you can any see trapped dirt.
It is simple to operate with a prominent on/off switch and an automatic recoil cord to avoid cord entanglement and easy storage. It comes with a number of attachments to clean hard-to-reach spots. It features a telescopic stainless steel wand for extended use to reach farther surfaces. It has a powerful suction that would work excellently on most floors.
Weight: 14 pounds
- It has an adjustable telescopic wand
- It has a fully efficient HEPA filtration system
- It has an on/off switch
- Its cord recoils automatically for easy storage
- It comes with a colourless dirt bin
- It comes with a number of attachment and accessories including crevice tool, bristle brush and a telescopic wand
- It has a very powerful suction capable of cleaning floor surfaces from carpeted floors to hard wood and tiles
- It is compact and easy to store
- It has an HEPA filter system that traps allergens and microscopic dirt
- It has a fair price for its quality
- Its automatic recoil cord eases storage, avoiding tangled cable mess.
- It is easy to maintain, the colourless dirt bin ensures that you can get rid of every last particle of dirt in it.
- It is bagless
- It is a gives off noisy sounds while it is working
Bissell 2156a zing: best cheap price bagless canister vacuum
It is stylishly small in size and doesn’t weigh much. It is a fairly powerful suction and would clean most surfaces from carpet to hardwood floors simply by flipping switches. The little machine is bagless and instead collects dust in a small, colorless canister that can easily be detached and disposed of.
This bissell vacuum is designed to be light and compact and will definitely not take so much storage space. The swivel steering makes it move so conveniently around furniture and through passageways without difficulty. It also features an automatically recoiling cord eliminating the mess with elongated cords.
Weight: 7.5 pounds
- It is light
- It features an automatic recoil cord
- It uses a canister instead of a bag to collect dirt
- It has an integrated handle to lift it
- An airflow regulator is fitted with it
- It is powerful enough to clean most floors
- It is light and easy to maneuver
- It is relatively cheap
- It is easy to use with buttons to retract the cord and switches to change optimization for different floor types
- It is compact with a retractable cord, making it very easy to store as well saving storage space
- It is bagless and might spill dust during disposal because of its lack of filters
- It doesn’t have a fitted filter
- It is not very convenient for vertical surfaces
- Its cord is relatively short and might be inconvenient to use over large areas due to switching power outlets.
Raceup canister vacuum cleaner: This is a bagless cyclonic cleaner with HEPA filter
With a five-stage filtration system, this machine pays attention to extra details; it will pose a major threat to air allergens and other airborne particles. Its powerful filtration system extends to include a dirt cup filter, honeycomb filter, sponge filter, and a felt filter.
It is bagless and uses a dirt cup to collect dirt; this can be detached and emptied conveniently. It features a 17.6-inch power cord that retracts automatically; the reasonably long cord allows it to be conveniently used without worrying about changing power outlets.
A very versatile machine that will challenge most surfaces, this best hardwood floor canister vacuum can be used for cleaning hardwood floors, carpeted floors, draperies and upholsteries, and ceilings. The vacuum comes with a special sofa brush taking furniture cleaning a notch further.
Weight: 11.74 pounds
- It has a very well designed and function HEPA filter system
- It features an averagely long and retractable recoil cord
- Its core is a powerful multi-cyclonic suction motor
- Integrated into its system is an overheat protection system
- It is bagless and uses a dirt cup to collect dirt
- IT comes with a variety of brushes for different surfaces including: a 2-in-1 nozzle brush, a soft brush, and an eco brush.
- It is versatile, capable of cleaning hardwood, tiles, rugs, carpets, upholsteries, and sofas
- It is light and easy to move around
- It is easy to store thanks to its retractable recoil cord
- It has a well-developed filtration system, leaving a clean and tidy air
- Its cord is long enough to use conveniently within a limited space
- Its dirt cup is tightly fitted with filters to prevent the escape of particles while emptying
- It is quite affordable relatively
- It runs smoothly and quietly
- It is has a poor maneuver
- It is inconvenient to use for vertical surfaces
Canister Vacuum Buying Guide
After all, is said and done about the uniqueness and advantages of canister vacuums over its counterparts like uprigth vacuum etc, one is still left with the problem of choosing the most suitable one for your particular need.
Canister vacuum cleaners are most notable for their maneuverability and versatility and they appear in all forms and shapes, some with distinguishing peculiar features, others with a more general and versatile design.
you may like: pure air machine reviews
There is a need to balance between work output and convenience of use whenever you are choosing a new product and below are some of the most important factors to consider while selecting a quality and the fit vacuum for your use:
1. Flooring Types: The major flooring type you have in your home determines to a large extent which canister vacuums will most suit your needs. A hardwood floor would require a vacuum with motorized brush roll and floor brush to loosen up dirt and work clingy dirt.
If you have more carpeted floorings, you might want to get a canister with an electrically powered brush roll which works more efficiently for cleaning deep-pile carpets, for carpeted flooring, a motorized floor nozzle would also come in very handy.
Many canister vacuums come with and can be fitted with a number of different attachments so you can easily transition from different floor types without stress – this kind of vacuums would be excellent if you have a variety of flooring types in your home.
2. Mobility: The ease at which you can move a vacuum around or the frequency of the need to do so must be considered, hence a light and mobile canister vacuum is always a great choice. When you find yourself frequently having to clear crumbs or clean your floors you might want to get a really light and handy vacuum.
If your needs are more extensive and you usually have a lot of space to cover while vacuuming, you should consider the length of the power cord so won’t find yourself switching between power outlets and sockets every time you make a turn, this might be very inconvenient.
3. Would you prefer a Bagged or Bagless Canister Vacuum? : This question is important to be answered before making a purchase. Both a bagged and bagless vacuum has their pros and cons. A bagged canister uses an attached dirtbag to collect dirt as opposed to a bagless one which often uses a dirt bin/cup/canister to hold its vacuumed dirt.
A bagged vacuum would hold dirt for a much longer period before needing to be replaced, and once full, the dirtbag can easily be detached and thrown away without any mess. But the need for it to be replaced every time one gets full gives additional expenses to the user.
A bagless vacuum, on the other hand, would require t be emptied often as the dirt container is usually small and cannot hold too much dirt, while it doesn’t need to be replaced it does need extra care to dispose its contents as some of the dirt and allergens can be reintroduced into the environment; you might also need to dust or wash the container just to make sure it is totally clean. A decision has to be made about which one of the two will be more suitable for your home.
4. Ease of Storage: The size and compactness of the machine determine how much storage space it will occupy. The length of the cord while very essential for convenience during use may cause a mess of entangled cable with itself and other cables lying around, to fix this inconvenience, some manufacturer has their power cords retractable, that is, the cord can recoil into the machine after use. Hence you should consider your storage options before making a purchase.
5. Air Filter: Air filters might are very important to keep the air and atmosphere around the house free from dust and dirt particles. A HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air absorber – Click here to learn more) filter is usually most efficient and can be crucial to people who suffer from airborne allergens or people with lung diseases such as asthma to have a cleaning system with an air filter.
A HEPA filter fitted vacuum will leave the surrounding clean and fresh by absorbing the majority of allergens and minute airborne dirt. Some canister vacuums also have a charcoal filter to absorb smell in the air. The filter would often need to be replaced over time.
6. Output: The specific tasks you require would determine the type of vacuums you will need to go for. More power output would be required for larger particles and more suction radius would help you get things done much quicker. A brush roll is effective for getting rid of elusive strands of hair or pet furs.
7. Noise: Without a doubt, a noisy machine is irritating and can be frustrating; hence a vacuum that works most silently would be preferred. This is a worthwhile factor to consider before getting a vacuum.
You must see: best backpack vacuum cleaners
Canister Vacuum Cleaner FAQS
which canister vacuum cleaner is the best?
Unfortunately, there is no direct answer to that question as the best canister vacuum to someone would usually differ from another person’s. A lot of factors such as the floor surfaces in your home, if you have pets or if you have allergies and so on, have to be considered by individuals to choose the vacuum that best suits your need. Moreover, every vacuum has its own positive and lacking aspects and one can only select that which is best for him/her.
what is a crevice tool?
A crevice tool is a narrow and slender attachment for canister vacuums. Its design allows it to move through “crevices” such as inside couches, refrigerator, vents and so on.
what is a HEPA filter system?
HEPA meaning High Efficient Particulate Air is an absorbent filter that can trap minute air particles. It is a standard filter system certified for trapping 99.97% any particle that is not smaller than 0.3 microns (You can learn more about HEPA filters here)
why is a HEPA filter important?
Ultra small particles like allergens, pollen, dander and dust can linger in the air after being roused by vacuuming; these particles pose a serious health issue especially for persons with allergies or asthma and leave the air stuffy and difficult to breathe in. A vacuum with a HEPA filter will reduce such risks and leave the air nice and fresh.
How do I dispose of dirt collected in my vacuum cleaner?
It’ vital to empty your vacuum cleaners dust bin at regular intervals or it won’t perform optimally. To make sure it keeps performing optimally, simply detach its dust bin or dirt bag once its full and empty the dust directly into a bin or bag. Once this is done you can fix back the dust bin in its spot and replace the dirt bag in the case of bagged vacuums.
Do i need to replace my filters?
Yes, eventually you will need to replace it. Filters are wonderful to keep an healthy household and prevent particles from entering back into your house. It is recommended to clean your filter about once a month. Filters may last for a number of years, but some may need to be replaced twice a year – specifics are usually given inside the product manual
Do all Canister Vacuums Come with Attachments such as Crevice tools?
Although most canister vacuums come with a number of attachment tools like Crevice Tool, Dusting Brush, Upholstery Tool, Extension Wand, Motorized Brush Head, Bare Floor Brush, and a Power or Turbo Brush, not all come with or support them. Additional information about the tools can be checked before making a purchase.
How often do i need to vacuum my home?
The frequency or intensity or vacuuming your home is dependent on several factors, such as the environment you live in, the amount of dust that makes it way into the house, if you keep pets or have sensitive allergens. Notwithstanding, it is recommended to vacuum your home at least twice a week, this will help keep the house clean and tidy always.
How do i know if a particular vacuum is noisy?
You might want to go through reviews on the particular product or ask questions on review pages to know how just how much noise the vacuum generates. You can also inquire from sales assistants in stores.
check this out : dehumidifiers for home and office
It has always been emphasized that HEALTH is WEALTH and maintaining a clean environment is the first step towards achieving a good healthy routine, keeping a tidy and functional canister vacuum around the house will help you do just that with ease, enabling you to glide elegantly through your home while cleaning, reaching all corners and crevices and giving dirt no room to compile. More importantly, you and your family will live a healthy and comfortable life in your home.
My name is Tushar, I am a fitness expert and product review enthusiast for over a decade who provides best and unbiased reviews for products available in the market on this website after doing hours of research on various topics and products including health and fitness. To read more about Tushar and this website mission head over to our About us page.